Thursday 13 January 2011

From locker room to Gustavian cupboard- a project in progress part 1


Unfinished as it is, - as it has taken much longer than I thought- I would like to share a bit of a project I am working on at the moment.
I had hoped to finish it this evening but a game of catch with Millie and Maud, with the help of Tilda and Thomasina intervened- and that is also very important right now !
I will show you the before of this - here below.
It was a small , square , squat locker room style cupboard which I  rescued from being burned on a bonfire.
I thought it would be perfect for a small bathroom cabinet.
I quite like the Gustavian/ Scandinavian style, and thought that would be fun, so look up some books for inspiration, especially decorative wall pintings of that time- so pretty !!.
I gave the cupboard a new handle, filled the holes , gave it an undercoat, then used some old Farrow and Ball paint I had left as the first coat.
The cupboard was rather squat so I decided to depict a fake smaller panel within the square of the cupboard door, to break up the squareness of it all, and keep the whole thing in shades of grey, green and cream like a grisaille.Within the fake panel, I planned to do a copy of a prety corner of some Gustavian wallpaper- asymmetrical.

Here below you can see what I did-  

and here are some more details.
It's precise work so it has taken longer than I thought but there is no point rushing for the sake getting it done.
I will post some more pictures and will stage it properly once it's fully done and all finished !!!
So there will be a second post about this in the near future, keep your eyes peeled and see you soon !!

I am linking this to Judy's first linky-party.Go and check out her blog!!


....................................................................................................................................................................
                                                        Maud and Millie.
If you want to keep up with the adventures of Maud and Millie, the latest post on their blog is here

                                         

9 comments:

Heidi said...

This looks like it will beautiful when finished!
Happy Friday! ~Heidi

Inspired by you said...

Love your painting. I'm sure it will turn out great!

lvroftiques said...

It looks like a very intricate project. I'd love to see it finished. Vanna

Anonymous said...

Hello, That is already fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished.I've been a follower of your blog, and i love it.

Kathy

Vanessa said...

Wow! I am just so impressed by you! You are completely transforming that and giving it new life and I cannot wait to see the finished product. Thank you so much for linking it up at the party this week! :-)
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ Wow! This is going to be amazing! I love what you are doing with that piece and can't wait to see it all finished ~ Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Lindy said...

Oh, this is amazing. Already not able to recognize the original cabinet!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Oh my goodness! You really are talented! I can't wait to see if finished.

Holly Lefevre said...

I like how that is shaping up...cannot wait to see the final product. Great piece and great idea for it.