Tuesday 9 November 2010

Heavenly , heavenly haberdashery- and a before and after

                                    

A haberdashery is like a sweetshop to me- I just adore all the ribbons, colours and trimmings and all the combinations you can come up with together with the colours of fabric - just so extraordinarily exciting !
I once walked past a tiny dark shop in the neighbourhood I used to live in, and it was only because I had to wait for someone else to pass on the narrow pavement, that I stopped and glanced into a shop-window I passed by,  and discovered  my almost Number 1 favourite shop in the world- an old haberdashery ! It was filled from top to bottom with shelves, drawers and cardboard boxes full of everything you can dream of, whatever thread, button or ribbon you wanted.The young couple who owned it had taken it over from an old lady  and had still no idea what was in some of the drawers, as there was so much inventory to check .
So I always have some ribbons and trimmings one way or another lying around, which was just as well when I came accross a very sad little footstool .This was the material- a remnant- I had left over and the trimmings I had.
I do not have a full picture of the foorstool before- but I do have one of the fabric on the footstool .It was pretty grim, some faded green velour- and had definitely seen better days.
So a quick whizz around with my remnant and the trimings made for a much brighter little extra seat.
Here is the "after".
Don't you just love the silly bobble-fringe!!
So- are you also a trimmings -and-haberdashery affectionado, and have you any project you'd like to share? Or does all this ribbons and trimmings and haberdashery leave you stony-cold??
I look foward to your comments!!!!

I am linking this to
Twice owned Tuesdays

This was featured on Oneprettything here
oneprettything 

29 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it looks great - so much brighter than before :)

DANA said...

That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at my Strut Your Stuff Linky Party!
http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-party.html

Brenda Pruitt said...

Just wanted to let you know that you’ve been featured on my weekly Welcome Wagon Friday post, which just went up. Welcome to our little blogging neighborhood. You have a beautiful blog! (I wasn't able to connect through your Contact button.)
Brenda http://cozylittlehouse.com

Modern Country Lady said...

Dear Brenda,
Wow- what a lovely surprise- thank you so much for featuring me on Welcome Wagon Friday !!
I really appreciate your welcome- this is so great.
I am sorry about the " Contact button " not linking through properly, I will have to work on that this weekend and see if I can get it fixed!!
Looking forward to seeing you on your and my blog-and many thanks again,
Kind regards
Bea

Becca's Dirt said...

That is so cute. I love it. And what a talented lady you are. How neat that you used the old lace tablecloth and made pillows. I think the original owner of the tablecloth would love what you have done.

I am visiting from Brenda's Welcome Wagon.

Deb said...

How cute is that! Glad Brenda introduced you and I see you have 2 kitties. Maaaawvelous.........I love your header pic because I am a dishaholic so would love to see more. Deb =^..^=x5 Ottawa, Canada

Susan Freeman said...

I love it! I love all the charming dishes on your header too. Your blog has captured my heart and I will be a regular visitor. I am so happy that Brenda sent me over to meet you! Stop by to visit me when you have a chance.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Kellie Collis said...

What a lovely makeover for the stool! It looks happy now with the new colour! Enjoy the gorgeous weekend, Kellie xx

Vanessa said...

That is so darling! I love the fringe and that you gave it a whole new life. I have to tell you that haberdashery sounds so much better than "fabric store" which is what I call it and that I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I walk into one! There really is something about the textures and colors and I just can't keep my fingers from touching everything. :-) Thanks so much for linking up to the party again this week!
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh, I love how your footstool came out!! It is just adorable and the pom pom bobble trim on there is perfect- Such a fun embellishment! I have not heard the word haberdashery before- but I like it!! :) Thanks so much for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!! :)

cotedetexas said...

that is sooo darling!! i love the fringe. your blog is darling.

Joni

Paula@SweetPea said...

Beautiful! You did a terrific job with this.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this turned out so cute! I love the fabric and the trim - how fn!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Samantha said...

What an adorable little footstool. You are right, the trim just makes it!

Joselyn said...

What a cute footstool! Love the pom poms! I have a thing for trims, ribbons, buttons etc. too. The sad thing is habadasheries are not nearly as plentiful as they used to be. I started sewing at a very young age and have fond memories of selecting just the right notions to complete a garment. So any time I visit one of these stores, I get nostalgic.

Judy @ In His Grip said...

The trim totally makes the stool.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Oh wow, this is a gorgeous little stool!

I'm having fun looking around your blog :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

It truly is heavenly! LOVE it!

Lou Cinda :)

. said...

I LOVE it!! :)

Jodi Nelson said...

This footstool is fantastic! I want one...

Biljana said...

It looks great, so lovely:))
Greetings from Biljana

chris said...

I love the pompom fringe the most. I could sure use one of those!

Unknown said...

Yes, the pom-pom fringe is adorable. Such a lovely little stool. Thanks for linking with air your laundry Friday!

Hugs,
Jami

Anonymous said...

Love how you finished it off with the pom poms....Just perfect!

Take care,
Lisa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Loving that fringe on there and the fabric is delightful. I think there is something really sweet about round footstools~ they are just adorable anywhere! Thanks for sharing at my party this weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooo wie schoen.Eine tolle Arbeit!!!


Conny

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Oh, like you, I am very much a "trimmings -and-haberdashery affectionado"! How I would love to stumble upon a shop like the one you speak of. Your stool makeover is fabulous.

Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to having you join me each week.

By the way, I just joined you as a follower.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Love your little footstool! So cute!

the upholstress said...

I agree a haberdashery is like a sweet shop & hopefully more & more will start reappearing.....