Saturday 23 October 2010

Halloween shortbread biscuits

Don't you just love a biscuit every now and then ? Shortbread biscuits are just about the easiest to make. And the good thing is, everybody loves them ! Just fill the house with the smell of home-baking , feel all cosy while it is raining outside and have at the end of it all a whole jar full of biscuits. What's not to love? If you do not want to put on the pounds, you can always make jars and jars of biscuits to give away!!
So why not bake some for Halloween ?
I followed more or less a recipe by Robert Carrier.
All you need is :
-150 g  butter (room temperature )
-250 g flour
-75 g caster sugar
So below are your ingredients.

How to make your shortbread biscuits :
Pre-heat the oven ( 170 degrees Centigrade).
Cream the butter and sugar together in a big bowl, then add the flower through a sieve, and knead the whole mixture through ( by hand is easiest ) .Keep some kitchen-roll nearby as you definitely will have quite buttery hands afterwards and then off course the phone will ring !!!!!.
Put a sheet of aluminium foil in a rectangular oven-dish and butter and flour the foil.
Then pat the dough into the dish and make it nice and even with your hands.Cut it carefully with a butter-knife so it is a proper rectangle.
Pre-cut rectangular biscuits from the dough by tracing horizontal and vertical lines on the surface of the dough.
Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
Leave to cool a bit ( 2 to 3 minutes) then cut the rectangular biscuits completely. If you leave the cutting bit too long, the biscuits will become too brittle and you will not be able to cut them.
Now you can do some decorating if you want. My effort was not that great but I suppose you could write
H-A-P-P-Y-H-A-L-L-O-W-E-E-N (  one letter per biscuit) like below.

Well,.I did say this stage was not 100% a succes.......
And then the best part is next- eating - or giving away.
Get a Killner-jar and put the biscuits in carefully. Close the jar, and put a nice gingham ribbon and a label with " Happy Halloween" around it.
Hey presto!




PS
There is a PDF with the label- let me know if you want this !!
Happy baking !!

7 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a delightful and scrumptious idea! I love baking while listening to the rain pound on the roof.
Brenda

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love shortbread. This sounds really easy, I will have to give it a try, and what a fabulous gift it would be. I always try to give cookies to my neighbors and some seniors that I visit for Christmas. I'm sure they would really enjoy these. Thanks also for your gracious comments on my post. Hugs, Marty

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

My goodness! For being new to the blog world..you certainly have a fantastic start! Your blog is lovely...and recipe's already. I have been blogging for two years...and have yet to produce a single recipe! :)
Welcome! It's already wonderful to have you. You are going to be a great addition...I can see that already!

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

Hi there,
Thanks for stopping by. You have a lot of great ieas on your blog. The jam gift box is adorable and those garden chairs...love the way they turned out.
Kelly

Square With Flair said...

I've never looked at shortbread recipes and didn't know that they were so simple. They're so old fashioned and traditional; I like that. I've always loved them, but I feel guilty eating something so rich. I guess that is good reason to have them on special occasions and holidays.

Shortbread and tea is a marriage made in heaven. Enjoyed your post.

Vanessa said...

I love shortbread and can't wait to try this recipe. It really would be a great Christmas gift for neighbors and friends! Thanks for linking up this one too!
Vanessa

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Ooh I love shortbread!